COMBOlism is a card game I created in Oct. and Nov. 2014. During the development, I learn followings design skills:
- Iterative Design. My game grows from a simple and naive card game into a well-designed card game by modification and adjustment. Also, I maintain design documents through the whole design process.
- Playtest. I playtested my card game with different kinds of players: Card game rookies, veterans, game design professors and even famous chess grand master. Also, I used testimonials to record observations and their feedback. Adjusting my game based on them.
- Balance. I learn to adjust different values in a system to adjust the game between luck and strategy, randomness and participation, calculation and simplicity.
Finally, I produced a simple but deeply strategic card game, Combolism.
- Card-drafting, when picking cards should I focus on my wn strategy or considering intervene the opponent?
- Defense or attack, should I place a card to score 2 or place a card to block the opponent from possibly scoring 4?
- Risks management, should I place a card to score a pair (1) but leave a opportunity of Three of kinds (4) to the opponent?
- Prediction of opponent deck, does he have a Heart 9 based on the former placements?
- Position of placement, Choices of cards placing, Analysis of the rest deck, …
All these consideration happen in your 8 placements in the game.